Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Open Letter to my Muslim Friend #3--What is the Straight Path--the true "sirat-al-mustaqim"?

My Dear Muslim Friend,

Recently I read a fascinating passage in the Qur'an, al-Hujurat 49:13: "Lo! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! The noblest of you, in the sight of Allah, is the best in conduct."

According to this ayat, Allah wants us to get to know one another and, together, to be noble and just in our conduct. In another Surah, az-Zukhruf 43:63, 63 we read: "When Jesus came with clear proofs of Allah's sovereignty, he said: I have come unto you with wisdom, and to make plain some of that concerning which you differ. So keep your duty to Allah, and obey Me. Lo! Allah, He is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him. This is a right path."

This passage says to us that we have the same Lord and our duty to Allah is to worship Him and to obey Jesus. This is the right path. In al-Fatihah we read, "Show us the straight path." This is the "sirat-al-mustaqim. But have you ever wondered, "What us this straight path?"

The prophet, nabi Dauda, declares, "Teach me your way O Lord; lead me on the straight path." (Zabur, Psalm 27:11 and 25:4). Again Dauda says, "The righteousness of the blameless makes a straight path for them." (Zabur, Proverbs 11:5 and 4:11).

Nabi Dauda says that this "straight path" is the path of life (Psalm 16:11); the path of righteousness (Psalm 23:3) and the path of peace (Injil, Luke 1:79).

The prophet Isaiah spoke of one who was to come and to prepare the way for Isa al-Masih. He said, "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God'...The glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken." (Zabur, Isaiah 40:3-5)

Who was this voice in the desert? And who was the one to come after him who is called "Lord" (Rabb)? In the Qur'an there is the story of Yahya. Read Surah al-'Imran 3:39f;  at-Taubah 9:7f and an-Anbiya 21:89, 90.

Nearly seven hundred years after the prophet Isaiah spoke of the one to come, this word of Alla was fulfilled. It is written in the Injil, "In those days John the Baptizer came, preaching in the Desert of Judea and saying, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.' This is He who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: A voice of one calling in the desert, Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for Him." (Injil, Matthew 3:1-3).

But who is this one called "Lord"? Prophet Yahya went on to say, "After me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry." (Injil, Matthew 3:11). And again he says, "He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me." (Injil, John 1:15)  The very next day Yahya saw Jesus (Isa al-Masih) coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'

The prophet Yahya was preparing the way for Jesus, Isa al-Masi. Isa is the one who is called "Lord" (Rabb).

One day Isa was teaching his followers. Here is what he said to them. "Enter through the mnarrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life and only a few find it.".  (Injil, Matthew 7:13-14).

I do not want to walk on that wide road that leads to destruction. As it is written in al-Fatihah, "the path of those who go astray". (Surah al-Fatihah 1:7)  I want to pass through "the small gate and walk on that narrow road that leads to life".  But, where shall we find that path, that straight way?

Isa al-Masih says, "I am the gate: whoever enters through me will be saved." (Injil, John 10:9). Again he says, "I am the way, the truth and the life." (Injil, John 14:6).

My friend, come walk with Isa al-Masi. He alone is the straight path--Allah's true sirat-al-mustaqim.

Sincerely yours,

Khalilullah Brusu

No comments:

Post a Comment